The position focuses on influencing transnational (EU) environmental policy processes related to biodiversity conservation, biodiversity financing and sustainable development, advocating for good governance principles at the national, regional and international level, facilitating policy and governance knowledge management, supporting engagement of WWF-CEE in international WWF network action, and working with external partners.
Location: Bratislava, Budapest, Bucharest or Sofia. In exceptional cases, another location in the Central and Eastern European region may be considered.
Strategy and Work plan development
- Leads the development, implementation and monitoring of components of WWF-CEE's regional Strategic Plan related to advocating for a nature- and climate-positive governance and finance framework in the region
- Engages in EU and regional (e.g. EUSDR) policy processes relevant to our Strategic Plan in closecooperation with WWF's European Policy Office and country managers/policy leads of WWF country offices
Fundraising and proposal writing
- Drives and contributes to the development of proposals to donors, working and collaborating with national and regional partners
- Engages with donors with the aim of shaping future funding programmes in line with our needs
- Supports integrated fundraising proposals for meeting biodiversity policy needs of different teams
Advocacy, partnership development, campaigning, and networking
- Facilitates and guides the development of cross-cutting policy advocacy strategies, including monitoring and evaluation of impact, to achieve objectives of WWF-CEE's strategic plan
- Provides technical comments and input to regional and European policy documents of WWF based on input received from national CEE offices
- Represents WWF-CEE in WWF forums such as the global WWF Governance Practice, EPO Biodiversity team and the EPO Strategic Advisory Group, and manages relations to the Global Finance team on issues relevant to WWF-CEE
- Represents the organisation in relevant forums on regional, EU and national levels such as conferences, symposiums, and communicates and promotes our policy approaches
- Engages with governmental institutions primarily at regional/EU level to advise on and advocate for WWF-CEE policy approaches and messages
- Leads or advises on legal action, when appropriate
- Engages with other NGOs towards joint action and coordinated policy approaches
- Liaises with colleagues of the global WWF network on joint initiatives
Policy staff development and policy knowledge management
- Supports ongoing learning, via structured knowledge-sharing (learning community) and contribute to training initiatives related to policy advocacy and good governance mechanisms.
- Coaches / mentors WWF-CEE colleagues in designing and implementing effective policy advocacy initiatives
Project and process management
- Supports and, where needed, supervises implementation of specific governance and finance related projects and processes with focus on biodiversity conservation
- Coordinates/supports implementation of regional/European project actions related to policy advocacy on biodiversity topics, in projects where WWF-CEE is partner
- Provides thought leadership and coordinate WWF-CEE's input to shaping the EU level policy development, e.g. implementation mechanisms of the Green Deal, in particular the EU Biodiversity Strategy and the next Multiannual Financial Framework
Research and analysis
- Contributes to the development of innovative approaches in the field of good governance
- Shares relevant research and analyses on innovative policy approaches at regional and global levels
- Work in close coordination with WWF-CEE's regional communication team as well as across the network to communicate issues and achievements to defined target audiences.
- Produce knowledge products demonstrating how WWF driven good governance models are supporting conservation in the CEE region
- University degree in Political Science, Law, or other discipline relevant to environment-related policy work
- At least 5 years relevant work experience as a policy coordinator and/or project manager in the environmental context
- Knowledge and understanding of EU environmental policies and legislation
- Understanding of conservation, politics, socio-economics, and sustainable development issues in the Central and Eastern European region
- Good knowledge of the core legal frameworks governing the environment, sustainable development and its key principles at the European level
- Experience in writing coherent internal and external policy documents such as memos, advocacy strategies, briefing papers, and position papers
- Experience in working with diverse international teams and engaging with high-level government officials
- Experience in Policy process management and Project proposal writing
- Ability to handle qualitative and quantitative data
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Detail oriented
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Creative, holistic and critical thinking
- Efficient listening skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to deal with problems characterized by complexity and uncertainty in a structured, systematic and efficient way
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and one other language of the region (Hungarian, Slovak, Romanian or Bulgarian)
- Proficiency in MS Office and experience in using a variety of databases
- Alignment with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration
- the opportunity to make a difference – for the CEE region and for WWF
- challenging and fulfilling work in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions
- friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context
- varying tasks and independent work style
- a pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment
- a salary according to NGO standards*
* The compensation package will be aligned with local salary and benefits conditions, in line with our reward policy.
If you are interested in joining our team, send your CV and cover letter (in English) to the attention of Tsveta Petrushinova, Regional HR Manager at email@example.com no later than 22 July 2022.
Please understand that we can only reply to short-listed candidates.
For more information about WWF-CEE, kindly check the website: https://www.wwfcee.org/.