Activities of WWF in Slovakia has gradually developed and intensified since 2016 and WWF-Slovakia (WWF-SK) has been formally established in Bratislava in March 2019. The new founded organisation focused on the support of effective care for the protection of areas, forests, river basins, and long-term sustainable use of natural resources. Much of the actions cover transboundary issues, including protection and management of protected areas and its related biodiversity.
SOME CONSERVATION FACTS ABOUT SLOVAKIA:
Slovakia has a significant part of the Carpathian mountains, including the Ancient Beech Forests World Heritage Site as well as valuable wetland areas along the Morava and Danube Rivers.
- Lowland rivers: Morava and Danube with their valuable wetlands and floodplains. Especially floodplains of the Morava river are among the most biologically diverse ecosystems in Europe. WWF-SK is preparing a recovery of lateral connectivity at several places.
- Foothill Hron river is the second longest river in Slovakia where WWF-SK focusses mainly on longitudinal connectivity restoration and advocacy actions.
- The Belá river as a unique braided-wandering mountainous river: nature-based management in the floodplain is important for protection of its dynamic riverine ecosystem.
Forests and Protected Areas
- Slovakia is rich in terms of area as well as diversity of forests which covered 40% of the country and most of them are located in the Carpathian mountains. Old-growth forests belonging to the most valuable forests create only 0.5% of its total area. High-value beech forests in Eastern Slovakia are recognized as Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe (UNESCO) site.
- Slovakia is home of large carnivores such as brown bear, wolves and lynx. The estimated population of bears are 1500 individuals, wolves 300-600 and lynx 250-300 individuals.
- Slovakia is an EU member state (EU Presidency in 2016) and a party to the ICPDR, Carpathian Convention and EU Strategy for the Danube Region.
IMPACTFUL PROJECTS OF WWF-SLOVAKIA
- 2021: WWF-SK is promoting green water management measures and raises awareness of how important freeflowing living rivers are. A successful crowdfunding project is supporting the river barrier removal movement in Slovakia.
- 2021: WWF-SK implements programmes to protect large carnivores, improve coexistence with humans and support safe animal migration routes. After long-term efforts in cooperation with a NGO coalition WWF-SK contributed to the year-round protection of the grey wolf in Slovakia.
- 2020: WWF-SK's biggest campaign led to the establishment of the National Old-growth Forest Reserve. The saving of natural old-growth forests and the support nature-friendly forestry are urgent issues to be addressed by the Slovakian Team.
INTERESTING FACT ABOUT WWF-SLOVAKIA:
WWF in Slovakia is known for its frequent and impactful communication activities towards the public and its public relation activities in general. The WWF-SK team runs campaigns in support of nature protection and sustainable living.